Before 1947 the town of Pandharpur had but two schools
to educate its children. The V. J. High school run by
the Nagarpalika (which is known as Lokmanya Vidyalaya
today) and a privately run school (which is known as Apte
On 5 October (Vijayadashmi) 1956 the late Shri P.S. Kulkarni
, G.D. Bhalvankar , Shri B.R. Ratnaparkhi , Shri C.S.
Abhyankar and Shri A.C. Pathak established The PANDHARPUR
EDUCATION SOCIETY. These visionaries left the Lokmanya
School with the ambition of starting a school that will
provide an environment, which would create honest citizens
with high self-esteem and confidence. They believed that
teachers themselves should come together and help to mould
the future of their students and by extension the society.
The task of starting an institution is easier said than
done .The founders had to overcome countless hurdles in
making the PANDHARPUR EDUCATION SOCIETY THE SUCCESS STORY
of the Solapur district.
This story began with a donation from the great philanthropist
Late Shri Dattopant Kawthekar and his younger brother
Shri Audumbarsheth Kawthekar. Together they donated
15000 rupees (A significant amount in those days)and
2.5 acres of land (the site where DH Kawthekar High
school stands today) to the society . Shri K. B. Pharate
provided the school with furniture, in recognition and
respect of the status of the founder members. Shri K.V.
Gharpure built the building and rented it to the PANDHARPUR
EDUCATION SOCIETY. Shri Khare was its building contractor.
Shri B.R. Ratnaparkhi’s friend Dr. Bidari, who
worked for the Mission Hospital, gave the school metal
sheets required for its construction, from the mission
hospital’s supply. These very metal sheets cover
the third floor classrooms even today! These were the
modest beginnings of what would become the educational
powerhouse of Pandharpur and Solapur district. Kawthekar
Prashala was built with the help of individuals who
understood the crucial role education played in creating
a better society. Unfortunately, many of these visionary
donors are no more, but the school remains a testament
to their memory and their cause.
THE PANDHARPUR EDUCATION SOCIETY was registered under
the act of 1860 and thereafter with the govt. of Maharashtra
in 1950 under Trust Act. It has acquired 80/G certification,
which makes donations to the society tax-free. In the
past THE PANDHARPUR EDUCATION SOCIETY ran the following
1. Chitalenagar Vidyamandir , Chitalenagar (Sadashivnagar)
2. Natepute High school, Natepute
3. Shri Bhavani Vidyalaya , Aatpaadi
THE PANDHARPUR EDUCATION SOCIETY has handed over the
running of these schools to the local bodies now.